We know that we should be drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day, but how many of you can say that you actually accomplish that? More than 50% of our bodies are made up of water, and staying properly hydrated is essential to every bodily function.
If you think about it, regular old water is practically a miracle drink. It keeps our bodies hydrated, and it's calorie-free! Several clients have asked me if I believe Alkaline water is worth the extra investment or a hoax.
Let's look at the numbers...Some of you may recall from high chemistry (or not, so I'll offer a refresher course) that the pH is the measure of the acidity or alkalinity of any substance or solution. The pH (potential hydrogen) scale runs from 0-14, with 7 as the neutral mid-point. Liquids with a pH of 1 are very acidic, and liquids with a pH of 13 are very alkaline.
Pure water is right in the middle of the spectrum, with a pH that is close to 7. Alkaline water, also called ionized water, has a higher pH than regular water, generally between 7 and 9.5.
Drinking Alkaline water during pregnancy has proven to have some very strong benefits for the mama and the baby. Here are a few to note:
- Alkaline water helps your body balance its natural pH level during pregnancy. As the pregnant body tends to be more acidic than non-pregnant body.
- It helps to reduce morning sickness and nausea during pregnancy. During the first few months of pregnancy, the body gives alkaline minerals to placenta in order to neutralize the acidic discharges from fetus. It is known that acidity alleviates morning sickness in pregnant women. So, while drinking alkaline water, we can immediately find the difference, as the morning sickness reduces.
- It is found that drinking alkaline water also helps in smoother deliveries.
- With the use of alkaline water, the likelihood of jaundice in baby as well as the mother can be reduced.
- Alkaline water also helps increase lactation in mothers.
- Alkaline water has natural calcium in it which helps the pregnant women have healthy bones and also reduces calcium loss while also helping the baby have healthy teeth and bones.
- Drinking alkaline water helps the new moms recover fast after delivery.
- It helps to rehydrate your body as does the normal water. Hydrated body can fight against headaches, nausea, vomiting and many other pregnancy effects.
Try it for yourself! You'll really feel the difference. For the maximum results buy Alkaline water with a 9 or 9.5pH. Essentia is a great brand and you can find it on Amazon!
Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!