It has been a busy year. Between writing, publishing, and promoting Domestic Chíc; designing and premiering Cellini, my couture apron line; travel; events; and more, I can't believe how quickly time is flying by. I love how busy my life is right now, but sometimes it can be hard to take time to center yourself when so much is going on around you! I have a few secrets to making time for myself in this busy season:
- Wake up just a little bit earlier. This can be so hard to do when you want that extra sleep, but I've found it really is the best way to start out the day. Whether you spend that extra 15 minutes sipping a mug of coffee and reading or chatting about the day with your loved ones, that time away from the rest of the world can get you centered and ready to take on whatever the day has in store.
- Schedule time with friends and family, and keep your plans. If you have vague plans with friends and family, it can be easy to push that time away to finish projects instead. Make concrete plans for exact times and stop working in time to keep those plans. Taking a break to chat and laugh over a glass of wine will do wonders for your creativity and therefore productivity!
- Get away from it all for a real lunch break. Studies show that getting away from your desk or home or wherever you work for a real lunch break greatly improves your work in the afternoon. Stepping away from your projects or appointments for even half an hour and taking time to eat or take a walk, even grab a latte, can do wonders for the rest of your day!
- Prioritize the hobbies you love. Do you love to craft? Have recipes you want to perfect before the holidays? Maybe it's working out or volunteering - whatever your hobbies are that fill your soul, make time for them. Whether it's once a week or once a month, you will thank yourself later!
- If possible, unplug for a weekend. This one is especially hard, but if you are able to disconnect for a few days, do it! Turn off your email notifications, log out of Instagram, and take time to simply be. For me, this means cooking and relaxing with my family. Those times mean so much to me!
What are your tips for taking time for yourself in busy times?