We normally hear about having good chemistry on a date, with friends or colleagues, but did you know good chemistry exists with your food? It's called nutritional synergy.
"The interaction of elements that when combined produce a total effect that is greater than the sum of the individual elements."
In regards to synergy and nutrition it is all about having “good chemistry”. Every whole food naturally contains a variety of nutrients both macro (fats, carbs and proteins) and micro (vitamin, minerals, antioxidants) that define the nutritional capacity of a food. Of course, the nutritional values can be diminished once the food is subjected to any form of processing, or during storage and shipment to supermarkets.
Proper nourishment and antioxidant protection can help to address factors that contribute to the majority of disease, and this is where leveraging synergy in our diets comes in! By combining different nourishing foods – the nutritional benefits become amplified!
Here are some combs to try:
1. Broccoli and Tomatoes
2. Spinach and Lemon
3. Oatmeal and OJ
4. Rosemary and Grilled Meat
5. Tomatoes and Avocado
6. Turmeric and Black Pepper
Heirloom Tomato Avocado Toast
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 slices hearty, whole grain bread
- olive oil
- 2 small heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 a ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- sea salt
- black pepper
Make the balsamic reduction by adding the balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the balsamic to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until balsamic has reduced by half and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Make sure you keep an eye on it -- it burns quickly.
- Drizzle each slice of bread with olive oil and toast.
- Evenly divide the avocado between the pieces of toast and use the back of a fork to smash the avocado. Layer the sliced tomatoes on top, sprinkle with fresh basil, and drizzle with the balsamic reduction.
- Garnish with sea salt and black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!